I made this dish in a flash of inspiration over the weekend. Some friends read it on my Facebook feed, and they made it and loved it too.
At the urging of my amazing wife, I present it here.
Provençal-Style Baked Codfish
1-2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
1 fat clove garlic, thinly sliced
Fresh cod filet, about 1.5 lbs.
Zest of 1 clementine or tangerine. Don’t overdo it, a little goes a long way.
1 tbsp. Sambuca, Pernod or other anise-flavor liqueur
½ jar of spicy red sauce (I used Silver Palate Fra Diavolo, which is excellent, or you can make your own. Just make sure it’s got some kick)
Halved Kalamata olives, capers, sliced artichoke hearts, chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the codfish into serving-size pieces
- Choose a baking dish that the fish will fit into snugly in one layer. Cover the bottom with the olive oil.
- Scatter the red onions and garlic into the dish, then lay the codfish pieces over that.
- Zest the clementine more-or-less evenly over the filets, then sprinkle the Sambuca over all.
- Pour the red sauce over everything to cover.
- Top with olives, capers, and artichoke hearts. Scatter the parsley on top.
Bake for 20 minutes and serve. Serves 4.
I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work with bacalao, properly soaked of course.